Patron : Sacred Heart
Established : 1903
Address : Sacred Heart Church, BILASPUR R.S. – 495 004 C.G.
Catholics : 3183
In 1897, Bilaspur became an out-station of Kamptee parish in Nagpur Diocese. On June 3, 1902 Rev. Fr. Crotchet procured a piece of land from the railways on lease to build a church and the church was completed and blessed on October 18, 1903.
Bilaspur became an independent parish on April 23, 1911 and after four days, its first parish priest Rev. Fr. J.F. D’Costa took charge of it. Rev. Fr. Crochet succeeded him on June 12, 1912. According to the census taken in 1917, there were 663 faithful in the parish which consisted of Umaria, Shahdol and Pendra in the North.
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery came to Bilaspur in 1945 and started St. Joseph’s school in July, in the same year. The Salesian Sisters came on September 7, 1953. They actively participated in the development of the school and they specially took care of the poor and the needy of the parish in many ways.
In 1966, the SMMI Sisters opened a hostel for the high school and the college girls and in 1967 they shifted it to Susamati Nivas at Tarbahar. A small-scale dispensary also was started in 1969 which developed into the present Maria Sahay Kendra (Health Centre) in 1975. The Sisters continue to engage themselves in regular visits to the families. It was Rev. Fr. Thomas Vadakekkary, who started the Bharat Mata English Medium School in 1972. Later a multipurpose hall, presbytery and a new church was built. It has become a big parish difficult to reach out to the faithful and hence there is need for bifurcation at the earliest possible. Missionaries of Charity render their services to the old people, the poor and the parish. There were also Missionaries of Charity brothers serving within the parish limits but they have discontinued their services. The Cenacle Sisters of the Sacred Heart, a pious association for the sisters, has been started, which is also coming within the boundaries of the parish. The Sisters of the Mercy of the Cross (SCSC) have started another school at Lalkhadan area of the parish.