Skip to content
- The Early Christian Presence : At the time of Maratha Regime from 1821, Raipur (1821), Dongargarh (1821), Rajnadgaon (1885) and Bilaspur (1897) are the places, occasioned by the British Garrisons at Kamptee and Raipur and the BNR (Bengal Nagpur Railway) extension.
- Msgr. Joseph Wengert as a missionary to the local people: His Proclamation resulted in the starting of Paraghat Mission (1905) in Bilaspur area and Kutela Mission (1934) of the Phuljhar area.
- Msgr Werner Hunold SAC as a missionary of the Phuljhar area among the Gada community and his efforts resulted in the establishment of Basna (1966) andChuhipali (1966). Helater became the Administrator of the Diocese.
- National independence and subsequent Industrialization resulted in the influx of Catholic families as the Main-stream communities of a mixed national character in the cities and industrial pockets, esp. Bhilai and Korba.
- Relli (Telugu) communities from the Vishakhapattanam missions (1960 onwards) came to Bhilai industrial area and in the Railways.
- vangelization connected with people of Satnami origin. Number of mission centers established in Raipur and Bilaspur Divisions such as Malkharoda, Kansa, Dewarghata, Akalthara (Parshi) Sarsiwa, Banjari, Risda, Hasda, Lawan and Amsena.
- Mission among the Gond Tribals: Mission stations were established in Role, Amera and Chilpi in Kawardha.
- Rural missions in the Oraon tribal pockets of Korba, Aundhi and Belghana area were established.
- Influx of Oraon Tribal Catholics to the urban and suburban parishes in the Diocese. (All the major cities and towns).
- Members of the Oriental Churches: Many members belonging to the rites of Syro-Malabar and Syro-Malankara have been members of the Catholic community of the Archdiocese.Hence our catholic communities are of a mixed culture and character. Hindi as the regional language and light Hindustani music as a cultural expression have helped to unite these people who are already one in faith and love. Special emphasis for inculturation in the rural milieu and inter-culturation in the urban context are relevant.